VISCA Decision Support System (DSS) is a Progressive Web Application that can be viewed or executed using any recent major browser version (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge). It can be accessed from multiple devices: computers, tablets or smart phones. The aim of VISCA DSS is to integrate climate and agricultural models with farmers’ management specifications in order to design short practices, medium- and long-term adaptation strategies to climate change.
The main part of VISCA DSS user interface is an integrated dashboard composed of a set of widgets which adapt to the screen based on a responsive grid. Widgets are sorted from the top-left to the bottom-right corner of the dashboard. It includes the end-user data (location, a map, the parcels, reference dates) and the 3 main layers (phenology, irrigation and weather forecasts).
VISCA DSS Dashboard
VISCA DSS 3 main layers
1) Phenology forecast: The phenology forecast represents the date of phenological phases predicted by the model and actual (observed by the farmer). The end-users can obtain details on a phenological phase: the probability given by the model to reach this phase at a specific period and a photo with an explanation that will help for the observation of the achieved phenological phase. Added value: Supply information for well-founded decisions of specific aspects of crop planning (budburst, harvesting, defoliation, pruning, etc.).
2) Irrigation forecast (water requirements): Irrigation forecasts display both applied irrigation and recommended rrigation for the incoming weeks. Irrigation forecasted is on a weekly basis. The histogram presents applied irrigation in purple and forecast in green for the weeks around the currently selected date. Added value: Allowing the farmers (end-users) to plan for the irrigation frequency and amount according to the needs of the plants.
3) Weather forecasts (Short-medium and seasonal): The weather forecasts represent both local weather information from weather stations and global weather information elaborated from satellites observation. Several details are presented such as:
- Global irradiation,
- Sea level pressure,
- Wind direction,
- Wind gust speed and
- Wind speed
Weather Forecast layer has three options: Short-term forecasts (2 days ahead): They are divided from 1-24 hours then 25-48, this information is updated daily. Mid-term forecasts (10 days ahead): They are updated daily. Seasonal-term forecasts (6 months ahead): They are updated in a monthly basis. It can also display the measurements (values or graphs) of parameters of the currently selected weather station for a user defined period.
- Plan and smartly schedule critical in-field farmers activities which are sensitive to the weather variations
- Integration of weather forecasts and in situ measurements into phenological and irrigation prediction models for better accuracy
- Integrated access to short, medium-term and seasonal weather forecasting optimised for the location of the vineyard
- Warning against (short-term) extreme events
In order to validate the predictions and recommendations suggested by VISCA DSS, trials were carried out in the demo-sites: Symington Family Estates (Portugal), Codorniu (Spain) and Mastroberardino (Italy). The developed models under this project as well as the climate forecasts were validated based on the weather, phenology and irrigation information provided by these three companies. Read the key results of these demonstration [here] as well as the [booklet of VISCA Results]